Combing through the reading material on outdoor furniture can be overwhelming. With each company having its own distinct story, style, and product selection, it can be daunting to determine which line is best suited to meet your needs. Wouldn’t it be great to summarize in just a few short sentences what makes a particular luxury outdoor furniture brand unique?
Just in time to make your summer reading list, we’ve written a few very short stories about 8 outdoor furniture and patio umbrella brands featured in the Curran Catalog.
Whether it’s a hanging sofa suspended over a majestic mountain lake or little woven toadstool-shaped accent tables cropping up from the earth, DEDON always makes an outsized statement. Pioneers in the development of all-weather HDPE fibers hand-woven into eclectic patterns and explosive colorways, DEDON practically invented contemporary outdoor woven furniture.
- Country of Origin: Germany
- Founded: 1990
- Style: Hand-Woven, Post-Modern, Whimsical
- Specialty: Outdoor Lounge, Colorworlds
Garpa got its start in rustic teak garden furniture and has never looked back, reimagining new distinct lines and paying homage to many style traditions. From the Belle Epoque refined wrought-iron aesthetic of Fontenay, to the Bauhaus-inspired cantilever chair of Bolero, Garpa is a true trendsetter in modern outdoor garden furniture. Curran is the exclusive E-commerce distributor of Garpa in the US.
- Country of Origin: Germany
- Founded: 1979
- Style: Timeless Garden Furniture, Eclectic
- Specialty: Outdoor Dining, Steel & Premium Teak
With cool calming colorways and meticulous craftsmanship, Gloster has developed a very large following in the world of luxury outdoor furniture. Characterized by soft rich teak accents, dramatic wicker frames, and cushions so soft you’d think they were indoor, Gloster designs are always instant classics.
- Area of Origin: West Africa
- Founded: 1960
- Style: Contemporary, Eastern Influence, Scandinavian Style
- Specialty: All-Weather Wicker, Indoor-Feel Upholstery, Premium Teak
For over 100 years, Barlow Tyrie has been synonymous with quality teak outdoor furniture. From its historic beginnings with the rustic London garden bench to the modern mixed-material Aura dining collection, Barlow Tyrie reveals the beauty and potential of teak to craft heirloom furniture that ages gracefully in gardens, parks, and patios for generations.
- Country of Origin: UK
- Founded: 1920
- Style: Rustic Teak, Modern Teak, Design Icons
- Specialty: Outdoor Dining, All-Teak Frames, Garden Benches
Driven by a philosophy of affordable luxury, Danish design house Houe creates neo-Scandinavian, award-winning furniture with a conscience. Repurposed waste plastic lamellas that are colorful and interchangeable, along with aluminum and bamboo accents, make for ergonomically-inspired comfort and custom style that you can feel good about. Watch the waste plastic lifecycle here.
- Country of Origin: Denmark
- Founded: 2007
- Style: Scandinavian, Affordable Luxury
- Specialty: Outdoor Dining, Innovative Materials
With ethereal silhouettes and effortlessly intuitive mechanics, Umbrosa redefines what the modern patio umbrella is and can be. Often flat, square, and even circular canopies, along with the absence of cranks and other clunky gear, combine for a modernist statement with a minimalist footprint.
- Country of Origin: Belgium
- Founded: 2005
- Style: Ultra-Modern, Minimalist
- Specialty: Unique Canopies, Easy-Open Operation
Woodline proudly hails from Africa’s Cape of Good Hope. The parasol company designs rugged shade solutions intricately engineered to withstand the area’s intense wind and rain [Storm can withstand winds in excess of 50 mph]. With corrosion-resistant stainless steel mechanics, reinforced stitching of the canopy, and even auto-open technology, Woodline is always innovating to perform in any environment.
- Country of Origin: South Africa
- Founded: 1990
- Style: Rugged, Industrial, Innovative
- Specialty: Elite Performance, Reliability
For over 100 years Frankford Umbrellas has furnished the commercial and residential markets with premium cantilever and market-style umbrellas. With its chrome-like polished steel finish and stately finial, the Greenwich collection is an instant classic; on the other hand, for sheer size and rugged performance, the Eclipse is one of the most popular choices for a cantilever umbrella. All Frankford umbrellas are proudly made in New Jersey, USA with marine-grade 9 oz. fabric.
- Country of Origin: USA
- Founded: 1898
- Style: Beach Chic, Classic, Affordable Luxury
- Specialty: Contract-Grade Shade, Customizable Canopies